Encore Studios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Encore Studios Forums.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Concept art

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:24 am

So here is the thread to actually discuss the whole look of the underground city.

I have started one very ambitious and very HUGE concept of the city. SO far I am comfortable with showing you only small parts from it:

Concept art Hissar

I am using reference pics of cappadocia to make it. I have always imagined Cappadocia looking like a mirror image of the ground above. Everything carved in the soft limestone (which btw formed because millions of years ago this whole area was a sea bottom). But its also darker and cave-like with stalactites and so on meaning the place is damp like a cave. Which allows us to have many strange forms that can be claimable slippery and so on. But also just like the actual town of cappadocia , to the carved buildings have been added bricks, pillars, poles, decorations and at places the carvings are more precise to make the place more beautiful. For example friezes and pillar capitals that have been borrowed from Greek, Egyptian Chinese etc architecture styles

So please tell me what you think on this and if you have more ideas or concepts show them too

Last edited by NightWish on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.nightwish666.deviantart.com
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:42 am

And here are spome other concepts I have made

--------------------

An entrance with a gate and a possible puzzle. The entrance is inspired by a Thracian tomb in Starosel. kind of rough but you can get what I mean by it.
Concept art Sphinxpuzzle
There are 2 Sphinxes guarding the entrance and I designed them to be something in between all best knows looks for sphinxes in t he ancient world - Babylonian, Greek and egyptian. As you know sphinxes are saud to have guarded important places and treasures and they always asked a question who would let only worthy poeple pass through them
Concept art Sphinx
So i came up with this as a 'question' as I doubt will will easily make them come to life. They hold tablets that Lara has to find scattered n the city. she puts the tablets in their paws and they form the question which probably shows some metals with their alchemical symbol. and this also opens a gate somewhere with 3 objects on a pedestal from different materials. SO the player has to get the right object from teh material the sphinxes desire otherwise he would have to back track a lot to get the right object. which opens the gates and voila! Smile
Concept art Al_metals2\

--------------------

Also from starosel I loved this decoration motive that is typical for the Thracians. So not many people would know about them and would be interesting for the underground city because they look kind of dark. They symbolize the 3 worlds - blue - the life in the skies, black - the life under the ground and the red is the life on earth
Concept art 000011879

--------------------

A nephilim woman statue
Concept art Nephilimwomanfire

And I have a whole another puzzle to talk about but i want to continue draiwng my concpt now and I iwll post my old puzzle later. I am just wondering where did the original thread for traps puzzles and etc has gone...
Back to top Go down
Zebra
Living Writer's Block
Zebra

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 6:51 am

Looks pretty cool. Please also include a river parting the city in the middle. And make it go up to the sides. Like a valley. So that the river in the middle is the lowest point and the ground goes up to its sides.
Back to top Go down
https://encorestudios.forumotion.com
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:32 am

Yes it will be very vast...And teh river is an awesome idea! Though I am not sure I can draw it properly... but I will as sure as hell try! Very Happy awesome AWESOME idea I just was thinking what to put on a blank spot
Back to top Go down
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 am

Concept art Hisshar
Back to top Go down
Zebra_
Admin
Zebra_

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:48 am

Very good so far (Did you include the river? I can't really make it out because many parts of it are still so messy Razz). But: It should be WAY more crowded. You know. Like a very big city. Houses and huts everywhere. And maybe you could make like different districts. Y'know. There's an area where the houses are more beautiful and bigger. That's the rich district, etc.

And...that's not the whole inhabited city area...is it?

And once you are finished with it you should make it darker. But I guess you were going to do that, anyway Smile.

Oh. And include a huge square at some place. Maybe with a big stone stele or sth. And one think you should really look at for inspiration: Dinotopia:

Concept art Dinotopia
Concept art Gurney-dinotopia
Concept art Image4_1185571121
Concept art Waterfall
Concept art Dinotopia_450
Concept art B7d7
Concept art N27491
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_NFDojlmckRI/Roawm57tBwI/AAAAAAAACXE/-QRStEOzP2Y/Dinotopia.jpg

I don't mean that you should take inspiration from the architecture or style in these pictures. But from the scale and from the layout of the buildings, etc. Dinotopia is a huge, magical, forgotten world. Just like the Nephilim's city. So look at these pictures and I'm sure you'll get some sense of proper, epic scale Razz (not that you don't already have it Smile).
Back to top Go down
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 11:38 am

Zebra yeah I am aiming for an epic scale. once I draw the building I have thought of i will scale them and add more...this is only the version that i showed keir. kind of made it in a hurry.

yeah on the right there I have slightly sketched the river if you look carefully. and the more defined thing is a bridge.... I also started a bigger stastue but I dislike it.. its too mush like the statue in aod ... want it more original..
Back to top Go down
abraham
Animator/Founder

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 am

NightWish wrote:
https://2img.net/h/i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/NightWish6969/WIPs/hisshar.jpg

AHHH THERE IT IS!MUCH BETTER!!! ITS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 1:55 am

thanks abraham Smile
Back to top Go down
abraham
Animator/Founder

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 4:31 am

yea lol only thing i could comment on!!!
Back to top Go down
shadow

shadow

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:08 am

Well just some thought extra, has anyone seen the movie: Journey to the Center of the Earth. The 2008 movie, i think we could actually take alot of very nice idea's from that movie. I really liked that movie and it had a world inside ours. I think that consept fits perfectly with ours, however there are so many things in that movie that could fit in it... like the forest and the ''sun''. I really was watching this movie and thought maybe some of you would like some of those ideas... just hopefull thinking Smile

And:
NightWish wrote:
Just insert the last consept here
Razz

I really love the consept, however just my personal thoughts are above Smile
Back to top Go down
Zebra_
Admin
Zebra_

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:51 am

I've not watched that movie. The diea with the jungle...I don't think that fits. It's beneath a desert. Wouldn't really fit. But the sun is a good idea. Not an actual sun. But maybe like...a replica? It could be ontop of the energy tower. That's the actual "power source" of the city. They replicated the sun...I like the sound of that Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
shadow

shadow

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:26 am

Its not a Jungle, its some sort of small forst, the tree's and plants are huge and there are allot of surrounding waterfalls... I captured a few shots, note they are in 3D so image is kinda weird Wink
But when i said forest i didn't meen a closed part full of tree's and plants only... just have a good amount plants scatterd around the place, youll see what i meen in the shots Wink

Concept art 2eg9zd3
Here's what i ment about the plants, there hugh yet there aren't to many plant. I think a small amount of plants would fit perfectly, its underground, but i thought these games arn't supposed to be super realistic. We always seen plants in the most odd places in the TR games, however i think the Underground city would be something similiar to the regular world (outside). The arcitacture as Nightwish made in the consepts are simular to the real places, however yet its not the same... So why not add some plants (and personally id love to see some waterfalls if possible)
Concept art 16hqc60
And the ''sun'' its the exact same as the real one, made out of gasses that are burning, however it is many times smaller then the one we are seeing... I think it kind off should be there, if this really would be far under our feet, then were does all the light come from... that always actually bugged me in the old games Razz
Back to top Go down
Zebra
Living Writer's Block
Zebra

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:35 am

But it should still be a lot darker than "our world".
Back to top Go down
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Hmm I was going to watch that movie. but then I heard its laaaaaaaaaaaaaame.... I think I iwll watch it to see if I will find some inspiration as shady suggested Smile good thing Brendan Friser is hot pig
Back to top Go down
shadow

shadow

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Its not that lame, i just bought it becuase of the 3D, but ive only seen the 2D version so far... but its deffinantly a enjoyable movie, some great scenes and some moment just crack me up... its a very funny movie, and some element from the book are acually great converted into the movie Smile
Back to top Go down
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:09 pm

hhhhhhhm.... does Brendan take his shirt off in it? lol
Back to top Go down
Zebra
Living Writer's Block
Zebra

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:16 pm

NightWish wrote:
Hmm I was going to watch that movie. but then I heard its laaaaaaaaaaaaaame.... I think I iwll watch it to see if I will find some inspiration as shady suggested Smile good thing Brendan Friser is hot pig

But he's getting old. At some point people should just know when to stop making this kind of movies. There are so many actors in their forties playing action heroes. And that sometimes just looks awkward. Like Bruce Willis or Schwarzenegger. They're all way too old. Brendan Fraser isn't there yet. But if he continues like this...Oh, and the last Mummy movie was just bad. It would've been so much better had they not set it like...15 years after the 2nd one and it would've been SOOOO much better had Rachel Weisz played...what's her name again Razz? You know who I'm talking about...
Back to top Go down
shadow

shadow

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 9:06 am

Yeah and the worst part is there will be another Mummy movie... without him Sad
And Nighwise no he keeps his shirt on the whole movie lol!
Back to top Go down

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 9:15 am

And i have realy no idea what this all has to do with concept art LOL
men without their shirt is no art ........ or is it ?? Razz

i guess we have to go back on topic here
Back to top Go down
Zebra
Living Writer's Block
Zebra

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:17 am

@shadow: The first one is and will stay the best in the series.

RCA wrote:
And i have realy no idea what this all has to do with concept art LOL
men without their shirt is no art ........ or is it ?? Razz

i guess we have to go back on topic here

Depends on the man Razz.
Back to top Go down
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:30 am

Zebra wrote:
NightWish wrote:

But he's getting old. At some point people should just know when to stop making this kind of movies. There are so many actors in their forties playing action heroes. And that sometimes just looks awkward. Like Bruce Willis or Schwarzenegger. They're all way too old. Brendan Fraser isn't there yet. But if he continues like this...Oh, and the last Mummy movie was just bad. It would've been so much better had they not set it like...15 years after the 2nd one and it would've been SOOOO much better had Rachel Weisz played...what's her name again Razz? You know who I'm talking about...
Ypiu kidding? in the last mummy film he is billions of times hotter then his son lol

RCA wrote:

men without their shirt is no art ...
tell that to Michelangelo! lol

Concept art Michelangelo-1
Back to top Go down
Zebra
Living Writer's Block
Zebra

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:33 am

But that guy is missing a little bit more than just his shirt Razz.

Nope. I think you clearly saw that he didn't fit the role in the last one. Age-wise and everything.
Back to top Go down
NightWish
Admin
NightWish

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:41 am

Zebra wrote:
But that guy is missing a little bit more than just his shirt Razz..
that guy is David... a Michelangelo masterpiece :p It is one of th 1st renecance sculptures , which is very important. during the middle ages art was dying - there was only religious art fitted strictly in some cannons .... while in ancient times, the greeks specifically managed to make perfect sculptures of their anatomy knowledge. and this knowledge was lost in the middle ages. thats why this piece is so important - it rediscovers what was lost and shows the beginning of the cult to the ancient world. :p
Back to top Go down
Zebra
Living Writer's Block
Zebra

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:54 am

Yeah. I know the statue. Well I had forgotten who it is and all long ago. But it looked familiar. What about some naked Nephilim statues Razz.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Concept art Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept art   Concept art I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concept art
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Encore Studios :: Underground City-
Jump to: